This brand new publication contains everything you need to evaluate the self-esteem of an individual child or group of pupils with a 24-question self-esteem indicator questionnaire which will enable you to evaluate an overall level of the individual’s self-esteem, plus obtain scores on sense of self, sense of belonging and sense of personal power. Based on the results of the assessment, this manual then helps you design an intervention programme to enhance self esteem and this is achieved by selecting from a range of 79 age-specific preschool activities divided into six sections.
1) Creating a self-esteem building environment – Activities include: · Active listening · Make learning fun · Positive praise · Little things mean a lot · Creating an open environment · Be open-minded · Be patient · Circle Time · Walking in the child’s shoes · Share · Thank you letter · Visualisations and stories · Modelling · Emotional coaching · The power of being a human being · Experiment.
2)Supporting teaching professionals – Activities include: · You are unique · Celebrate · Accept praise · Ideas board · You make a difference · Make time for you · The work-life balancing act · Recognising achievements · Get to know people · Check-up · Give feedback · Don’t be superman/woman · You can do it.
3) Developing a sense of self – Activities include: · My name is · What can your body do? · Grand hands · What can I hear? · Fingers and toes · I’ve got a sound inside me · End of the day stories · What is that? · We are in line · Pass the smile · Spot the difference · Big blot.
4) Developing a sense of belonging – Activities include: · Acting out nursery rhymes · Double action painting · Elbow to elbow · Me and my shadow · Silly walks · Everyone has a turn · Who wants a sandwich? · Friendship is all around · We are in a jungle · Breathing together · Birds in the air · Tear away · Hunt the music · Back picture · Glove mates · Fire engines.
5) Developing a sense of personal power – Activities include: · What am I doing? · The big balloon · Who’s underneath that big hat? · Who’s saying that? · Pop, pop, popping · I can · Mirror, mirror on the wall · Simon says… says Simon · Can you spot the beanbag? · Big monsters · Not a sound · Jack and Jill · Flowers and animals · Puffing Billy · High and low are low and high · Don’t bump into me · Hunt the thimble · Jigsaws.
6) General activities to build self esteem – Activities include: · Play or pass · I’m proud of you · Child of the day · Who’s who?
Some of the activities involve worksheets which can either be photocopied from the manual
Once the programme has been completed you can then reassess the self-esteem of the child or group and measure the change and progress made to date.
This programme is ideal for both individual pupils to a full-blown whole school initiative.