A journey through adoption from the perspective of the birth child.
Written and illustrated by Nicky Ball with Bridget Betts
Bridget’s Taking a Long Time CD-Rom includes Nicky Ball’s beautifully illustrated and delightful story that follows Bridget’s hopes, fears and frustrations of adopting a new sibling into the family and the processes it involves, with click-to-read text, animations and sound effects.
There are also 20 printable activity worksheets which are divided into four sections:
1) Hey this is me
2) Who’s coming to stay?
3) They are here
The CD-Rom includes an 18-minute video of live footage of birth children being interviewed about their experiences of adopting a new sibling into the family. It includes:
- Thinking about adoption – Discussing what adopting a sibling will mean to them
- Being prepared – Social worker visits, role playing and so on
- First meetings – Meeting the new sibling at their foster parents' home
- Sharing – Discussing how the new sibling settled in
- What’s good about adoption? – Having fun, someone to play with and share things
- What would you say to other people thinking of adoption? – Not easy but rewarding, good experience nothing to worry about
This CD-Rom is a thought-provoking, engaging and non-threatening way of helping children adjust to a new arrival and for professional training.
PC and Mac compatible.
“… beautifully illustrated and coloured … both informative and charming as well as being compelling material.” Seen and Heard