Resiliency has been defined as the ability to:
- Manage life?s challenges, stresses, changes, and pressures effectively.
- Cope and adapt successfully to adversity.
- Bounce back to a balanced state after facing a major disruption in life or career.
People have an innate ability to demonstrate resiliency when they have resiliency skills built into their lives. Resilient people are able to adapt successfully under adverse circumstances such as: poverty, mental illness, disasters, terrorism, physical or psychological trauma, divorce, job loss, prison, loss of a loved one, parent?s divorce, prolonged stress, physical or sexual abuse, or a lack of safety. Resiliency, or a positive behavioral adaptation, is critical when people encounter any type of trauma.
The Building Resiliency Workbook contains five separate sections, each with its own unique resilience scale, to help participants learn more about themselves and how to build resiliency which will enable them to thrive in times of adversity, change and stress.
- Optimistic outlook helps participants identify how optimistically they view and live life.
- Locus of control helps participants explore the extent to which they believe they have control over what happens in their lives.
- Sense of self helps participants explore the strength of their self-esteem, self-confidence, and self-concept.
- Ability to bounce back helps participants increase their ability to bounce back and recover from a setback.
- Change management helps participants become aware of how well they deal with change, and develop skills necessary to accept change.
Effective use of journaling, exploratory activities and a resilience scale
These sections serve as avenues for individual self-reflection, as well as participating in group experiences revolving around identified topics of importance. Each resilience scale includes directions for easy administration, scoring, and interpretation. Each section includes exploratory activities, reflective journaling activities, and educational handouts to help participants discover their level of resiliency and provides reflective exercises and instruction to build personal and professional resiliency.