To start the game, players place a 'Worried Waters Raging River Sheet' in front of them.
Then they choose a 'Problem Card' that describes an anxiety-producing situation. Players then decide on an appropriate 'Solution Card' to use as a positive strategy to address the anxiety in the situation.
The game teaches players to:
- Better understand situations that trigger anxious feelings
- Learn a variety of cognitive (self-talk) strategies to decrease anxious feelings
- Learn a variety of behaviours (relaxation and activities) to decrease anxious feelings
- Develop improved emotional competence
- Improve self-esteem and self-mastery as a result of increased emotional competence.